Monday, August 18, 2008

Girls Who Can Sing

I am an avid music fan. I like all kinds of tunes, from rap and hip hop, to hard rock, to classical opera, to indie alternative, to dance hits and pop chart toppers, to swing (makes me wish I could dance) and even some new age industrial music. I especially like music that is emotionally charged. Because of this, the vocal portion of a song is extremely appealing to me. The words and the "meaning" behind a song is often more blunt after you hear the words, as opposed to just a few chords and keys.

I also Love to sing myself, I'm just, not very good at it. Haha!! But I've always wanted to be a rock star; the front man of a jamming band like the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Incubus (two of my favs). I like diverse musicians; people who can bring energy and power to their music, and just as quickly mellow things out. If you can touch more than one genre, all the better.

Being a singer, at least in a live act, I think it would allow you to attempt various forms of "art". You're obviously a musician, making sounds and harmonies that appeal to a mass audience, that isn't always going to be receptive. They'll let you know if you're good or not. You can also be a poet, crafting lyrics and word ensembles that express a rather obvious message, or a carefully hidden metaphor. And while on that stage, you must be an actor. The way you move, the way you dance, the way you carry yourself across the stage; the confidence, the beauty or the ugliness (whatever is appropriate at the time), can emphasize or downplay a performance. You get to do so much, all at once.

But I tell ya, there's nothing sexier than a girl who can sing. Nothing more beautiful than a well placed note coming from a woman's lips. It moves, no... It captivates me. In my Lifetime, I've been fortunate enough to actually know some women who can sing. My good friend Casey can sing. She doesn't very often. She's kind of shy. It's too bad, because she's absolutely amazing. She's always been beautiful, but, it's just at another level when she lets me hear her sing. My ex-girlfriend used to sing. If there's one thing I miss, it's just getting to sit around and listen to her practice singing. She'd always ask me to join in, but I rarely did. I couldn't poison the air with my off key buffoonery.

I have ANOTHER (that's right, anyone keeping a tally?!) friend who can sing. Emily Norah Engel. Oddly enough, I met her through my now estranged ex-girlfriend. Hahaha!! Emily and I, thankfully, are still good friends. Now, to all of those of you who don't have the pleasure of enjoying her nerdy, tequila Loving friendship, I'm sorry for you. BUT, you can still hear her sing!
One of the great things about Emily, is that she's also (in my humble, uninformed opinion) a pretty good guitarist. She's got a little section on Myspace where she posts some music, and I'd like to share that with all of you. I'm proud and supportive of her. I think she's an amazing talent. She doesn't bring forth lots of energy, but that's just not her style. She's got folk music in her blood. Her religion is "Blues". Still, the beauty she captures with her voice and songwriting is worth a listen. And maybe I'm saying all this rather subjectively, because afterall, she's a friend of mine. So you'll just have to listen for yourself. "Hugs and Junk" is my particular favourite. It's the first song I heard from her. It's also a very Emily thing to say. And "Final Solid", with her homemade "slide guitar". She had to explain to me what a "slide guitar" is. Not as complicated as it sounds, but still. Sounds great. "Ope". I should let you go listen now. Enjoy.

http://myspace.com/emilynorahengel

1 comment: