Thursday, October 23, 2008

A thing occurred the other day...

So... I'm waiting for class, minding my own business, just reading some flyers posted on a bulletin board outside my class. Actually, I was reading a pretty ridiculous one about starting a quiet violent revolution or some shit like that.

Anyways, I'm standing there, and this girl walks by, and says "Hi."

So, I turn to see who it is, and it's a stranger, someone I've never met before. So, reactively, and even if I thought about it, I'd probably still do this; but I give her a confused look.

So she says "I just wanted to say hi."

So, there's lots to go from here. Wanting to say hi... That's, an interesting phrase. And the more I think about it, the more I feel the same. Don't you ever just want to say hi to people? Everyone who walks by, just wish them a good afternoon or whatever?

*Side Story*

One day, I was in the brown lounge, and I had a box of crackers. It was a busy day, and lots of my friends were coming by, so I would offer them a cracker. The few friends that stook around started making fun of me for this. But this only spurred me on, and I started offering crackers to strangers. Not quite the same as wishing someone a good afternoon, but good enough.

Anyways... So, I reply with a casual "Hey. How's it going?"

So we get to talking, and apparently she's had a bad day, and that really brightened things up. I got her name and added her as a friend on facebook, cause, "That's what all the kids do these days, right?" Her words, not mine.

So why do I agree to this? It reminds me of myself. Or, an older me I suppose. In first year, I was sitting in this brown lounge, and a pretty blonde girl was eating a bag of chips. I asked her, "Would you give me a chip?" And she looked a little confused "Uh... Ok..." And I laugh and shake my head "No thanks. I just wanted to know if you'd give me one. I don't actually want one." And she was SO confused. Almost frustrated! She asked me, "What is this, some kind of experiment? You're a psych major aren't you?!"

Am I that predictable? Haha!! I laughed and replied that "I was just curious, that's all." Anyways, that girl's name was Ursina. Great gal, we actually were in the same Calculus class together. Good times. We still talk, but don't hang out as much as we should. She's a bio major, maybe going to Russia for grad school.

Anyways, this stranger that said hi to me the other day, reminded me of myself. A self that wasn't afraid to be, different. Just kinda goof and foolish and weird. But I mean, really, where else but Nipissing can you have that sort of uniqueness? At a bigger school in Toronto or the like, everything is jam packed with people and stuff taking up your time, it's just... Would you really have time to be an individual? Perhaps in a private sense, but, standing out can be counter productive. I don't get much work done when I'm talking to people passing by. I don't know... Something to chew on I suppose.

2 comments:

Norah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Norah said...

I love it when Things Occur